Wow, Just Wow: Nickel Diner's Smac & Cheese
Heaven comes in the form of oooey, gooey, and slightly crunchy with a spicy kick. Meet Nickel Diner's appropriately named Smac and Cheese ($7.50). Large macaronis are smothered with four cheeses--cheddar, fontina, pepper jack and mozzarella--mixed with a few roasted tomatoes and topped with baked breadcrumbs and herbs. Wowee.
Downtown has reached a trifecta of the most pleasurable mac and cheese recipes in the city. The other two include the Redwood Bar & Grill on 2nd St. and Pete's Cafe & Bar a few blocks down from Nickel Diner on Main Street.
Previously on LAist
- Eating Breakfast at Nickel Diner includes a Maple Glazed Bacon Donut
- Edendale Grill's Secret 3-Cheese Delight
- Fred 62 Vs. Boneyard Bistro: Who Has the Best Breaded Mac & Cheese?
- Kitchen 24 vs. The Kitchen: Who has the Best Mac & Cheese?
- Thumbs Up: Chipotle Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- Simply Wrong Food: Jack in the Box's Cheesy Macaroni Bites
- Late-Night Snack: Adapting Boxed Mac & Cheese