Late-Night Snack: Adapting Boxed Mac & Cheese
"In economic yuckytimes, it's good to be reminded of how awesome just cookin' mac n' cheese n' peas at home can be. It's not always about eating out," wrote 护士黑鹰 in the caption of her above photo on Flickr. Intrigued, the recipe had to be asked for and she was happy to share how she doctors up boxed macaroni and cheese:
- 1 box Back to Nature Organic Shells n' Cheese
- Near the end of the pasta cooking, add 1/3 cup frozen peas. When pasta is cooked to your liking, drain it but leave a little of the pasta water in the pan, about a tablespoon's. worth.
- Return pasta and peas to the pan.
- Add the 2 tbsp. butter and the cheese powder packet like the box says.
- Instead of the 3 tbsp. milk like the box says, use a big dollop of plain greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
- THEN toss in a handful or slice of actual cheese. For the mac in the picture I used two slices of white cheddar. Do this while everything is still hot in the pan, so it will melt.
- Grind in some fresh pepper, add a pinch of thyme if you have it, and sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes.
- Stir it up. Little darlin, stir it up.