This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
7 Reasons To Get Your Pig on at Cochon All Stars This Sunday
Cochon 555, which debuted a few months ago in Los Angeles, is coming to Vegas. Here are 7 reasons why it's worth the trip for Angelenos:
- Bacon-in-the-batter waffles, maple gelato, bacon fat toffee salted caramel ice cream sandwich + chicharones are on the menu. And that's only from Duskie Estes (Zazu, SF). We like the sound of Fatty Filled Pastry Ham-Burgers and thyme Griebenschmaltz with lard crackers ourselves.
- 10 chefs, 4 butchers, and 14 pigs (including everyone's faves, Mangalitsa and Berkshire). Who will be there? Chefs from New York City's newest four star restaurant Del Posto, Thomas Keller's French Laundry, Portland's Pok Pok, Seattle's Lark (F&W Best New Chef 2011), and other big name chefs like Jeremy Fox, The Girl and the Goat (formerly on Top Chef) Stephanie Izard, and the 2010 "King of Porc" from the Michael Mina group, David Varley.
- Cheer on your local butchers Lindy and Grundy as they go head to head against the best NY and SF has to offer.
- As a bonus, try dishes from restaurants at the new Cosmopolitan (the host of the event). This includes Jose Andres (from Bazaar at SLS/minibar) China Poblano and Jaleo, David Myers' Comme Ça, D.O.C.G., Scott Conant's Scarpetta, STK, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Wicked Spoon, and others. Yes, some of these restaurants are also in LA but you get to have their food, without the scene.
- All you can drink beverages from Deschutes Brewery, Domaine Serene, Sokol Blosser, Domaine de Canton, Casa Noble tequila, other cocktails, breweries, and wineries, and lots of Fermin Iberico de Bellota (read: expensive ham).
- Vacation packages from the Cosmpolitan. One night at Vegas' newest hotspot with two VIP tickets. Free valet too.
- Ham it up with your favorite chefs and butchers for only 50 bucks more. VIP tickets get you in early for meat & greets, caviar, more wine, cheese, and oysters. VIP tickets for only 50 bucks more? Totally worth it.
Here are photos from previous events. Cochon All Stars takes place at the Chelsea Ballroom in the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas on Sunday, July 24th from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM. For packages, click here. For tickets, click here. There is a 20 dollar discount for Yelp users, yay?
How to get the best eggs in town without leaving your yard.
Beautiful views aren't the only thing drawing Angelenos to the region
Gab Chabrán reflects on growing up in L.A. in a Latino home that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving and the traditions they formed instead.
Oklahoma-style smash burgers and Georgian dumplings make for some excellent cheap bites in Glendale
Husband and wife Felix Agyei and Hazel Rojas combine food from their heritages, creating a marriage of West African and Filipino cooking
Baby Yoda cocktails. Boozy Dole Whips. Volcanic tiki drinks. If you can dream it, they're probably mixing it somewhere on property.