Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

Arts and Entertainment

Lindsay Lohan Suspect in $100K Jewelry Theft, Still On the Hook for Lying to Cops About Recent Car Crash [UPDATED]

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

Police departments in Los Angeles County should probably put Lindsay Lohan on speed dial--if she isn't on there already. The actress is not only still on the hook for lying to Santa Monica police for her role in a June car crash, but is now a suspect in a Los Angeles police investigation about a $100,000 Hollywood Hills jewelry theft.

The SMPD have apparently been trying to talk to Lohan for some time now since the June accident in which she crashed her Porsche into an 18-wheeler on Pacific Coast Highway. Lohan initially reported her assistant was behind the wheel, but in fact, it was Lohan. That lie could cost Lohan her probation, since lying to the police is a big no-no.

All those calls though, are bothersome to the Lohan camp, per TMZ: "Sources say Linsday's lawyer, Shawn Holley, called the station and complained that cops should not be calling Lindsay directly because she has an attorney."

It may, however, be too late, since TMZ's eyes and ears say the case is already being prepped to head to prosecutors for review.

Support for LAist comes from

Meanwhile, in the jurisdiction of the LAPD is a new case involving an alleged jewelry theft at the Hollywood Hills home of Sam Magid, where during a recent party "2 watches and an expensive pair of sunglasses -- total value $100,000 -- supposedly went missing," according to TMZ. Apparently Lohan is thought to have "let 2 friends into the house and cops think when they left they took the goods ... and she may have been in on it."

The LAPD named Lohan a "person of interest," which now seems to have been bumped up to "suspect," despite Magid recanting. For her part, Lohan is blaming Ambien (she was "hazy") and Suge Knight's son Andrew for the theft. Magid told cops he spoke to Knight, who said he and another friend were handed the $100,000 of jewelry by Lohan, and then the buddies returned the goods to Magid.

Naturally, Lohan's team is saying no way did the 26-year-old steal from Magid.

UPDATE 2:35 PM: LAPD detectives say they intend to meet with prosecutors today to determine if there is enough evidence to charge Lohan--or anyone, for that matter--for the theft, according to City News Service. "Hollywood detectives are continuing their investigation into the case,'' LAPD Officer Bruce Borihanh said.

UPDATE 2:45 PM: We've just learned via TMZ that the District Attorney has rejected the case and will not pursue charges against Lohan, citing insufficient evidence.

Support for LAist comes from

UPDATE 3:45 PM: Here's the LAPD's official release about the investigation and today's decision by the DA to not file charges:

LAPD Hollywood Area detectives are investigating a residential burglary that occurred earlier this month on August 18 in the Hollywood Hills. As part of the investigation, detectives interviewed two victims along with witnesses to the incident, which happened in the 9300 block of Nightingale Drive. During the course of the investigation and interviews, detectives uncovered information indicating that three others may have been present during the burglary. Detectives requested to interview two of the individuals through their attorney but were declined.

The investigation has continued, and today, detectives presented their case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. After reviewing the case, the district attorney’s office declined to file charges on the three individuals, citing a belief of insufficient evidence to prosecute beyond a reasonable doubt.