Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Security Footage Shows Thieves Fleeing After Kim Kardashian Robbery

phpk4KSC9AM.jpg

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

The alleged armed robbers who broke into Kim Kardashian's Paris hotel suite earlier this month have been caught on tape. M6 News in France originally published the security footage from nearby the Hôtel de Pourtalès, which shows the suspects headed towards the hotel, and then 49 minutes fleeing via foot and bike. TMZ notes that, "One of the men on bike appears to be toting a backpack during the getaway, and all of them are moving much faster." Police have not identified the men in the video, nor have they made any arrests.

During the 49 minutes, they held up the concierge, gained access to to Kardashian's suite, and tied her up as they stole millions in jewels and other items.

In a recent piece in the Daily Mail the concierge—named only Abdulrahman—spoke out, saying, "I saw police [uniforms], the hats, also the police jackets, with reflective badges, like the police have... he made me come to open the door. So I came to open it and just when I opened it, he grabbed me and handcuffed me." He says two of the five men were wearing balaclavas. "In the first seconds, I thought they were policemen making an intervention," he told the outlet, "I told them, I’m working here, what is wrong? After that he questioned me, where is the security video? At that time, I said shit, it’s a robbery."

Abdulrahman added that "There was no real security" at the hotel—which is frequented by celebrities. "It’s a choice. We told them years and years before, you have to make a camera, you have to put [in place] a security process, about keys. Nothing was locked, there was no proper security there."

Kardashian has since been laying low in Los Angeles, and reportedly has "zero desire" to return to her old life. Her constantly updated social media accounts have gone silent, though her assistant updated fans on Kardashian's app on Sunday, writing: "Hey guys. So you may have noticed we haven’t updated the app in a couple weeks. Keeks is taking some much-needed time off."

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today