This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
At Least 9 DUI Checkpoints this Holiday Weekend in L.A. [Updated]
Photo by McBLG97 via Flickr
[Update: 9th location announced for Saturday in Reseda. Added to list below.]Like every weekend, the LAPD will be holding DUI checkpoints around the city. But unlike other weekends, this three-day holiday one is going to see a more scrutinized focus because officials always see an uptick in drunk driving. And so Friday through Monday, expect to see more police out on the streets.
Today the LAPD announced eight checkpoints, which covers the city from the Valley to the Harbor, form Echo Park to Venice. There also could be more out there because the LAPD doesn't have to announce locations.
Here are the ones that have been announced.
- Friday in South L.A.'s Vermont Vista area: Manchester Avenue and Hoover Street from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. (map)
- Friday in Echo Park: Sunset Boulevard and Sutherland Avenue from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. (map)
- Friday in South L.A.'s Vernon-Central area: Newton Area at Slauson Avenue and Olive Street from 7 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. (map)
- Saturday in the West Adams/Jefferson Park/USC campus area: Jefferson Boulevard and Western Avenue from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. (map)
- Saturday in Venice: Washington Boulevard and Stanford Avenue from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. (map)
- Saturday in Encino: Reseda Boulevard and Ventura Boulevard from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. (map)
- Saturday in Reseda: Sherman Way and Amigo Avenue from 8:00 p.m. - 2 a.m. (map)
- Sunday in San Pedro: Harbor Boulevard and 1st Street from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. (map)
- Monday in Venice: Venice Boulevard and Abbot Kinney Boulevard from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. (map)