Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Polanski's Rape Victim Implores Judge To End Director's Case 'As An Act Of Mercy' To Her

Polanski.jpg
Photo by Adam Nurkiewicz/Getty

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Samantha Geimer, the woman who was raped by Roman Polanski when she was 13 years old, asked a judge on Friday to dismiss the criminal case against Polanski "as an act of mercy to myself and my family."

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Geimer, who is now a grandmother, told judge Scott Gordon that she herself had been serving the equivalent of a 40-year sentence as the proceedings stretched on. According to the Guardian, this is the first time Geimer has appeared publicly at a court hearing in the case.

“Samantha Geimer is tired of this. She has been asking the court to terminate this case for years. She wants to get it over with,” the director's attorney, Harland Braun, told Reuters on Thursday. Polanski, who has admitted to the sexual assault, spent 42 days in jail following his 1977 guilty plea before fleeing the United States. He has not returned to U.S. soil since that time, despite failed attempts at extradition.

The most recent developments in the 40-year-old case transpired in April, when Judge Gordon shut down Polanski's attempt to resolve the case from abroad with a promise of no further jail time.

“I’m just here to try and get things resolved—not on Roman’s behalf, but on the behalf of a fair justice system,” Geimer said as she arrived at the downtown courthouse, according to KTLA.

In April, Geimer sent a scathing letter to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, accusing the staff of failing to protect her, and instead using the case to further their own careers. "You and those that have come before you have never protected me, you have treated me with contempt, using a crime committed against me to further your own careers," she wrote.

CBS LA reports that the judge said he would take Geimer's request into consideration, but did not elaborate on when he would issue a ruling. "I commend you for coming in," he told Geimer, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "Your courage as a survivor is noted."

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today