This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Residents Drive Play With Phone to Ear
- Are you new to California and this is the first thing you've read upon unpacking? Or maybe you're just doing your decade check of the news? We at LAist have been trying to tell you about the new cell phone law, so if you haven't heard, welcome to Earth!
- The LAPD wasn't sure how they would handle first offenders of the cell phone law, so the OC Register rode along today to document some action.
- In other car related news, Defamer picks up on why the Beverly Center is shaped so oddly: "The Beverly Center's kidney-bean shape was designed to accommodate [oil] drilling.... Pumping operations are hidden behind a wall between Macy's and Bloomingdale's." Will this lower gas prices? No. But gas in Los Angeles does continue to stay below an average $4.60/gallon these days.
- Did you ever get off a ride at Disneyland and say to your chum, "man, that ride totally sucked, I wish I could contribute my sour opinion to a media poll?" The OC Register can help you out.
- After a three-month undercover investigation, Police have arrested a Canadian man for intent to sell $2M in ecstasy pills. Happy Canada Day! (again)
- Remember last week when a store owner got shot when he confronted two taggers spraying graffiti on his store? Well, today a 16-year-old was charged with attempted murder and vandalism in the case, and it looks like his accomplice will be charged the same.
- Turns out that the train derailment in Irwindale this morning was caused by "crew error," and the unknown substance that leaked is a non-toxic moisturizing compound. So that's what trains carry...
- If you did or didn't see anyone die at the Electric Daisy Carnival over the weekend at Exposition Park, head over to the LAFD blog.There's a raucous comment fight going on throw your two cents in.