This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Put Your Phone Down and Drive!
- Are you ready, Los Angeles? It's "Hands-Free" Eve, and we want you to be prepared for tomorrow's surefire ticketing frenzy. But will the new law really make our roads safer? Some say no--we've got "brain overload."
- The Bottleneck Blog's Steve Hymon had a sit-down with City Councilwoman Wendy Greuel and she revealed her plans to make transit more user-friendly, including getting buses to drop-off and pick up inside Burbank Airport, moving to stacked and valet parking (hmmm) at the 2 Valley Red Line lots, and running Red Line trains later on Friday and Saturday nights.
- If California voters legalize marijuana come November, a police seizure like the one that recently happened in a Cypress trailer park might not go down the same.
- Have you seen this guy? Police in West Covina have put out an APB for this 42-year-old escapee.
- Another dead cat has been found in La Quinta. It's the 4th feline corpse that has been found in the past couple of months within a 1 mile radius of each other on streets and in yards, some disemboweled, some shot, but all suspicious.
- Another body, this one unfortunately one of a man in his 40s, has been found on the street. The deceased, discovered under a bridge in Brea, appears to have expired about three days ago and is believed to be homeless.
- Why has the US seen an increase in its Hispanic population in recent years? If you think it's immigration, you'd be wrong. It's a little bit more basic than that. That's right, it's birds-and-the-bees kind of basic.
- Here's one story where the headline is infinitely more interesting/humorous than the actual story: "Naked Women's Wrestling League bests Carmen Electra in court ruling." Thanks, Daily News!