Extra, Extra: LA Funny's are Movin' on Up
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- The SNL cast just got a little more "toilet seat down" with the addition of two new female cast members - Michaela Watkins and Abby Elliott (Chris's daughter). Gothamist was right, questioning why Lorne didn't adopt a Michelle Obama look-alike, but now that MADtv got canceled, the funny-pool just got a little more crowded.
- A Hawthorne youth center planned to open today is not going to as planned due to a burglary last night. The burglar stole computers, electronic equipment thus ruining the safe haven before it even got a chance to get started.
- Ever wonder what public transportation will look like in the future?
- "Alligators Not Welcome" was the message one Huntington Beach man got this past Saturday when he attempted to bring one of his alligators to a bar. Animal control followed the man home, found another alligator and impounded them pending investigation.
- Looking for a volunteering opportunity with benefits of karma and spreading Holiday cheer? The LAFD Blog needs help with the LAFD's Sertoma International Chapter to support their annual Toys For Needy Children campaign.
- Another crazy person is back on the streets today and Sandra Bullock probably isn't resting easy. Marcia Diane Valentine, 47, has been stalking the star for a while and got 3 years probation today. She has attempted in the past to run down Jesse James (Bullock's husband) down with her car, but had charges of assault with a deadly weapon dismissed.
- Fifty-year-old Kathleen Allmond and her son, 30-year-old Tony Ray are being charged with Grand Theft for stealing about $25,000 of Tony's grandmother's retirement and Social Security checks. Oh, they cremated the body but prosecutors dropped felony charges yesterday of elder abuse and theft from an elder by a caretaker.
- Product Designer Nadine Jarvis is making sure that you, postmortem, come back as something productive. She says that once cremated, she could mold your ashes into 240 pencils. But if being left behind to lay on a loved one's desk isn't your bag, she could also make you into a bird feeder.
- Free Tix Time! - The Greek Theatre is closing down for the winter season and LAist has tickets for their last show featuring local jazz pianist Brad Mehldau, the McCoy Tyner Trio and the Ellis Marsalis Quintet. Just go over to the contest page and tell us what you think President Obama's top priorities should be when he enters office.