LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- A woman who smuggled Guatemalan women into the country then forced them into prostitution was arrested yesterday and appeared in court today. Maribel Rodriguez Vasquez would promise the women high-paying job then hold them against their will and beat them.
- Looks like Sam Zell might be in a heap of trouble.
- Two teenage girls were hit by a car this morning in Canoga Park. Their conditions are unavalable at this time but both were "alert and oriented at the scene," said Diana Igawa of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
- Who says bank robbers have to be confident and self-aware? The man dubbed the "tapper bandit" is wanted for robbing two banks in Seal Beach.
- The price tag for those new downtown courtrooms and office spaces just increased by $800 million and there's no end in sight for the project. Angelenic suggests using Quimby money for a park in the meantime.
- Want to sit in the red-carpet bleachers for the Academy Awards? The lottery begins Sept. 22nd - you have about a 1 in 20,000 chance of being selected.
- We have tickets for you to see My Morning Jacket at the Greek. All you have to do is click here and write your best Los Angeles flash fiction story.