Sponsored message

Celebrate California Public Radio Day!

Support LAist to keep trusted local news strong and help unlock a $20k challenge.
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

$4 Million Jury Award To LAPD Officers Who Fatally Shot Autistic Man Overturned By Appeals Court

chief_beck_640.jpg
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck. (Photo by LeonardFiles via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

In 2015, two Latino Los Angeles Police Department officers who were placed on desk duty for five years after fatally shooting an unarmed, autistic man in 2010 were awarded nearly $4 million by a Los Angeles County Superior Court jury after they sued the LAPD, alleging discrimination and retaliation. Last week, a state appeals court overturned that decision, with the three-judge panel stating that the officers failed to prove that discrimination occurred, according to the L.A. Times.

The two officers, Allan Corrales and George Diego, had been awarded more than $2 million and $1.9 million, respectively. They fatally shot 27-year-old Steven Washington, an unarmed black man whose family said that he was autistic, on March 20, 2010. In a separate lawsuit, Washington's mother had sued the city and received a $950,000 settlement in 2012 after filing a wrong death claim, according to KPCC.

The two officers filed their lawsuit in 2012, alleging that they were treated differently because they were Latino, and if they were white or black they would have already been back out in the field. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck, who ruled that the shooting was justified, testified in 2015 that they were kept on desk duty not because of their race, but because of errors made during the incident. "Beck acknowledged that he concluded the shooting was justified but said the officers made a series of tactical errors leading up to their use of lethal force," the L.A. Times reported in 2015. The LAPD's civilian police oversight commission ruled against Beck's recommendation, finding that the officers had violated the department's use-of-force policy in the deadly shooting.

Beck also testified denying that the officers had faced any racial discrimination, saying "That's absolutely not true," according to the Times.

The original jury award to the two officers "outraged police watchdogs," according to KPCC, who report that activists said "it made no sense to reward a shooting that should not have happened." KPCC characterizes the appellate court's decision to reverse the jury verdict as "rare."

"We are reluctant to overturn a jury verdict," the court said, according to KPCC. "However ... the jury here did not have a complete picture of the governing law." The appellate court ruled that not only did the officers fail to prove discrimination or retaliation, but the original jury also did not receive clear instructions that they should focus primarily on the race of the officers involved—and not the black man they shot—in judging whether Beck had acted properly, according to KPCC.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today