This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's top 10, reader-style
We've been posting some of our favorite things from 2005, so now it's time for yours. Here are the 10 most popular LAist posts of 2005, from basketball to Beckham, from Ashton to the Suicide Girls.
1. We prepare to say hello to David Beckham: Beckham Bent on LA?
2. A farewell tribute to Hunter S. Thompson: Grace in Depravity
3. Ashton Kutcher: Hollywood Maverick? But of course.
4. The Best Waiter in Los Angeles (tm). We found him, now you just have to go to Chevy's to enjoy his expertise.
5. Suicide Girls Behaving Badly: hot chicks in trouble.
6. A band that's grown so cold it got hot again, for a moment this summer: INXS's New Fortune
7. Coachella: Day One. Sadly, just not so much love for day 2.
8. Another Difference Between LA and NY: it's a hazy shade of Wintour.
9. Another rumors of a sports hero heading to LA: was Kevin Garnett California Dreaming?
10. No top 10 list is complete without some Cranky Vegans.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.