Extra, Extra: The Long Wait is Finally Over
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Following weeks and weeks of stalling, the State Senate is finally getting ready to pass the budget bill after securing the crucial vote of Senate Republican leader Dick Ackerman.
- Good news in the environmental department: San Bernardino County authorities have just agreed to start cutting back on their greenhouse gas emissions after monitoring conditions over the next 30 months.
- Secretary of State Debra Bowen is going after ES&S for selling close to 1,000 uncertified voting machines to counties across California.
- Check out the "King of California"'s interactive L.A. map.
- Douglas L. Barry is set to become L.A.'s first black fire chief.
- Officials ordered residents to evacuate from 50 homes in Hacienda Heights after a 50-acre brush fire erupted in the early afternoon.
- The NASA Ames Research Center is prepping an airport safety assessment study that will examine LAX's high propensity for runway incursions.
- The shareholders of Tribune Co. - owner of 11 newspapers (including the LAT), 23 TV stations and the Chicago Cubs - approved billionaire Sam Zell's $8.2 billion buyout offer.
- Outspoken liberal actress Janeane Garofalo (and former co-host of an ill-fated Air America show) will be joining the cast of conservative fave "24" this upcoming season.
- Space shuttle Endeavour safely landed in Cape Canaveral, Florida, this afternoon after a nearly two-week nail-biting episode involving a deep gouge in its belly.