This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Eric Garcetti to Run for Mayor!!!!?
- An update on last night's Midnight Movie (you really need to watch this): Curbed has the rendering of the proposed development and for five-stories, it looks a bit... out of proportion.
- Authorities are on the hunt for the killer of a 25-year-old homeless man whose body was found Sunday night in Venice. The victim was apparently beaten to death. Another homeless man was found dead early yesterday morning in Lancaster; he was shot with an arrow.
- Another CSU campus, another gun scare: Late last night the dorms at CSUN were evacuated after reports of a gun-toting hostage-taker came in. Similar to the recent gun-sighting at CSU Dominguez Hills, the alarm was determined to be a false one.
- Alice Davis, the original old-school costume designer of Pirates of the Caribbean and It's A Small World rides talks about her husband Marc Davis, the late animator and one of Disney's Nine Old Men, Cruella De Vil and the Chouinard Art Institute (now part of CalArts) in an interview with UltimateDisney.
- Speaking of magical lands, 60-year-old Billie Gene Jackson was arrested at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch for trespassing. She claimed to be the enigmatic pop star's wife and that she owned part of the Santa Barbara property. Why didn't they try to get her to pay the millions of dollars owed on the abandoned land instead of just plain arresting her?
- The latest buzz is happening in San Marino, where a home has so many bees residing inside the structure the walls are oozing honey. Apparently they've made the home their hive for the last 25 years, as reported on LA Observed.
- Who doesn't love a warm fuzzy story about lesbian couples having quadruplets? I thought so. Irvine Police Department employees and long-term couple Cristine Gaiennie and Patsy Lovell welcomed two boys and two girls into their family. Congrats!
- Oh, did we say Eric Garcetti for Mayor above? Ugh, wishful thinking. David Markland of LA Metblogs is also now KNBC's political blogger. Today he notes his double take when he saw a t-shirt on Busted Tees for the letter-C Carcetti for Mayor. "The name is strikingly similar to the President of L.A.’s City Council."
LAist Editor Zach Behrens contributed to this post