Extra, Extra: Is it 2008 Yet?
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Officer Down: A SWAT team was dispatched late today to a Reseda home on the 11800 block of Blythe Street where it is believed an officer was shot. The gunman has barricaded himself in the home and it's unclear whether he has been apprehended. The injured LAPD officer was transported to a local hospital.
- The funeral was held today for 17-year-old Nataline Sarkisyan, who died after her insurance company refused her liver transplant. Mourners wore the traditional black accented with pink ribbons, armbands and scarves to pay tribute to her and her favorite color.
- After what seemed like years of court drama and finger-pointing, singer Brandy has been cleared of criminal charges in the fatal freeway collision that took place almost a year ago to the day near Sherman Oaks. Now she can get back to making terrible music. Great, just great.
- LAX hotel workers rejoice!: the LA living wage law was upheld in a court ruling yesterday so hotels must now pay workers at least $10.64/hour in salary and benefits.
- Take it outside! Five new outdoor "fitness zones" have been installed around LA to encourage obese residents to get fit in 2008. Will they work? Only time and the lines at Yum Yum Donuts will tell.
- Another day, another DUI: Risky Business star Rebecca de Mornay was charged with a DUI for driving all crazy-like in Beverly Hills in October. We'd say this would hurt her career, but, um, what career?
- Not on my sidewalk! Angelenos are urged to recyle their Christmas trees at one of 28 tree-dump sites in the city. You can even drop off all that wrapping paper and ribbon at each location. Ah, so much nicer than finding dead Christmas trees linining your neighborhood sidewalk for the next few months.
LAist Co-Editor Lindsay William-Ross contributed to this post