This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Singles Going Steady
• Join a lonely hearts club for A Violet Valentine tonight at The Echo, featuring Dntel, The Long Lost, Becky Stark and Winter Flowers, with DJ sets by Jimmy Tamborello, frosty, Sobbing Sara and Tommy DeNys, a picture show by Chad Misner and treats from Hip Hop Chocolates. Things kick off at 9 PM; admission is $5. [18+]
• Tangier features Benji Hughes, Gus Seyferrt, Tom Brosseau, Vincent and Mrs Green and Kirstin Mooney at 8 PM. Tickets are $7.
• Kind Hearts and Coronets and Secretary Bird are at the Silverlake Lounge this evening. Cover is $5.
• The world premiere program California EAR Unit in Love gives us some lovely sounds at REDCAT tonight at 8:30 PM. Tickets are $20.
• Screening in the City brings Midnight Cowboy to The Mountain Bar at 8:30 PM.
Photo by poesie.
• JMP with resident DJs J. Rocc and Melo D of the Beat Junkies, and Peanut Butter Wolf are at the Knitting Factory tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $5. [21+]
• Jessi Colter appears with special guest (and son) Shooter Jennings, Tony Joe White and Don Was tonight at the Viper Room.
• The Egyptian Theater has the ultimate outsider tale of love, Harold and Maude, screening tonight at 7:30 PM.
• AFI at Arclight presents Hitchcock's Psycho at 8 PM.
• Sabrosa Purr, La Rocca and Cold War Kids are at Spaceland tonight. Doors open at 9 PM.
• Dengue Fever, El Ten Eleven, Papillion, Naomi and DJ Saul Good are at Tangier tonight at 7:30 PM. Tickets are $10.
• The Silverlake Lounge features 50 Foot Wave and Helicopter, Helicopter tonight at 10 PM. Tickets are $10 advance.
• X, The Johns and Donita Sparks are at the House of Blues Sunset tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $30-32.50. [18+]
• El Cid features Moris Tepper, Inara George and Marianne Dissard and Naim Amor. Tickets are $10.
• The Sweet and Tender Hooligans and Audio Karate are at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 PM; tickets are $13 advance, $15 day of.
• RJD2, Aceyalone, Busdriver and Wax Tailor are at the El Rey tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $23.50.
• Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum appear at Royce Hall tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $25-45.
• The New Beverly has an Italian double feature: the legendary Cannibal Holocaust at 8 PM, followed by Lucio Fulci's The Beyond at 9:55.
• Women over 18 can show up at the Staples Center between 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM for free screenings and information at the National Women's Heart Day® Health Fair. In addition to free heart disease screenings, the Fair also features exhibits, recipes, advice and demonstrations on how to best care for your heart.
• Saint Etienne appear at Avalon tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $21.50.
• Mary Gauthier performs tonight at McCabe's Guitar Shop at 8 PM. Tickets are $17.50.
• The New Beverly has an Italian double feature: the legendary Cannibal Holocaust at 4:25 and 8 PM, followed by Lucio Fulci's The Beyond at 6:20 and 9:55.
• The Huntington celebrates with a Chinese New Year Festival from 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM, featuring lion dancers, Chinese music, martial arts demonstrations, children's activities, and a traditional flower market. It's all free with general admission.
• Do something good for your mama at the 30-Minute Beach Cleanup this morning in Long Beach. Volunteers will be sprucing up the beach, meeting between 10 and 10:30 AM to do some good work, enjoy some coffee from The Coffee Bean and maybe win some prizes.
• Mary Gauthier performs tonight at McCabe's Guitar Shop at 7 PM. Tickets are $17.50.
• Upsilon Acrux and Some Girls appear at The Echo tonight at 6 PM. Tickets are $8.
• Jesca Hoop takes the Hotel Cafe stage at 10 PM.