Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

State Dems and GOP Still Dancing Around Unofficial Ballot Boxes, But Who's Dancing Lead?

Twitter user Rebecca Albarran posted this photo on Monday of an unofficial ballot drop box outside St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Simi Valley. (Screengrab from Twitter)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

California Republicans and Democrats have been performing an awkward tango all week over the GOP’s use of unofficial ballot boxes. The dancing continued today with more mixed messages coming from Democratic elected officials and state GOP leaders.

In a press conference Friday, Secretary of State Alex Padilla and Attorney General Xavier Becerra first said they have no plans for legal action against the California GOP because, they said, the party had removed the offending ballot boxes.

“Despite the rhetoric in the press,” said Padilla, “the Republican Party has agreed to no longer deploy unstaffed and unsecured ballot drop boxes."

But Padilla later said in a press release that the Attorney General would be issuing subpoenas for more information from the party about the boxes.

“There are still outstanding questions about the scope and practices of the Republican Party’s misleading ballot collection operation,” Padilla said in the emailed statement," later adding, “this investigation will remain on-going, and we will take further legal action as necessary.”

On Friday, during the press conference where state officials declared the ballot boxes had been removed, Republicans such as State Senator Melissa Melendez were touting the program and promising the boxes were “secure.”

Sponsored message

California GOP spokesman Hector Barajas said:

“The Secretary of State and Attorney General didn't know the facts and didn't bother to learn them before accusing us [of breaking the law] on Monday. We can't agree to not do something we weren't doing to begin with. They could have shortened this press conference by simply saying ‘Sorry.'”

So, are the unofficial boxes still being used? Will state officials take the GOP to court? Stay tuned.

READ MORE:

At our Voter Game Plan you can find:

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today