Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Wild in the Streets

Support your source for local news!
The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

A review of this month's LA Police Departmentcrime blotter reveals that the rain hasn't put a damper on mayhem in the city.
A. On Sunday, January 9, 2005, at about 1:00 a.m. North Hollywood officers and Fire Department personnel responded to Vanowen Street west of Laurel Canyon Boulevard for a radio call of a "Man Down."The victim was discovered on the sidewalk suffering from a stab wound to his right thigh. He died as a result of his injuries. Detectives searched the area for evidence and located three individuals who possibly knew the victim. During further interviews, it was determined that one of the individuals was the victim's girlfriend.

The girlfriend admitted to stabbing the victim during a dispute. She has been identified as 27 year-old Brenda Barnett of North Hollywood.

B. On Thursday, January 6, 2005, at approximately 8:25 p.m., a 44 year-old woman was inside her residence in the area of Adams Boulevard and Manhattan Place, when a suspect entered her residence through a back door.

Support for LAist comes from

The suspect confronted the victim and used a taser device or stun gun in an attempt to subdue the victim, while he attempted to remove her clothing. The victim was able to free herself from the suspect. The suspect fled the location on foot in an unknown direction.

C. On January 6, 2005, at approximately 3:30 p.m., 31 year-old, Burley Lewis Dixon, and his older brother, Gregory Sims Dixon, 36 years-old, were standing in their front yard in the 1600 block of West 85 th Street , Los Angeles . While engaged in conversation, an unknown suspect walked up to the brothers and without warning took out a pistol and fired numerous rounds at them. Both brothers sustained multiple gunshot wounds and Burley Lewis Dixon died as a result of the shooting.

The suspect was described as a male African American in his 20's wearing a grey cap, grey t-shirt, and grey shorts. He was last seen running eastbound towards Denker Avenue , where he entered a white Ford Focus and drove away southbound Denker Avenue towards Manchester Avenue .

Most Read