Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected
Breaking news: Mark Ridley-Thomas is found guilty of bribery and conspiracy

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


What's Bruin at UCLA: Celebrations in Westwood End with Police Clash

Support your source for local news!
Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Police cruisers and fire trucks were rolling into Westwood immediately after Saturday's game, police helicopters circled over UCLA throughout the night. Students ran through the streets cheering "F*ck SC!" and "Go Bruins!" but were quickly stopped by the numerous patrolling police cruisers. In a sense, victory celebrations were stuffed by a copious LAPD presence.

When students (some naked) partying in the streets of Frat Row set an old couch on fire, LAPD descended upon them in riot gear, circling the estimated crowd of 1,000. Party goers (many of whom were not students) allegedly threw glass bottles at police vehicles on the scene.

As the police prepared to disperse the crowd, they blocked off the entire length of Landfair St. and denied the media access to what was going to happen next. Officers in riot gear then began to fire rubber bullets at those who failed to immediately leave the premises.

Support for LAist comes from
"I just came up to see the bonfire. ... A bunch of people (started) yelling about being Tasered, and then it started raining rubber bullets," said Aaron Stein, a fourth-year psychology student. No Tasers were used in the dispersal. - The Daily Bruin

Photo by Henry David for

Most Read