Your CliffsNotes Look at The COVID-19 Treatments President Trump Has Promoted
Our June member drive is live: protect this resource!
Right now, we need your help during our short June member drive to keep the local news you read here every day going. This has been a challenging year, but with your help, we can get one step closer to closing our budget gap. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership.
Here's a very quick look what we know and don't know about the drugs, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, also known by the brand name Plaquenil.
These are the possible treatments for COVID-19 that President Donald Trump has been promoting.
WHAT WE KNOW
- The drugs are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, but not for the treatment of the coronavirus.
- A number of hospitals are using the drug to treat patients with the coronavirus.
- Patients who rely on hydroxychloroquine for other conditions can't get it.
- Some doctors and their families are hoarding the drug.
- There are efforts to increase the supply of the drug, but other moves could tighten it.
- Conservative groups and television hosts are talking up the benefits of the drug.
- Clinical trials are underway.
- Some people are self-medicating with harmful results.
WHAT WE DON'T KNOW
- Whether the drugs are effective at treating the coronavirus.
GET THE DETAILS:
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.
Best of LAist