Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Toyota Apparently Rejects Man's Prius Car for Recall, which Later Becomes a 'Runaway' outside San Diego

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Photo by KOMUnews via Flickr

Photo by KOMUnews via Flickr
A man who claimed that Toyota said his 2008 Prius wasn't on the recall list when he brought it to a dealer apparently became part of the latest incident in which the vehicle accelerated and wouldn't stop. On Sunday, James Sikes said he was driving on Interstate 8 when he accelerated to go around a car, only the car kept on accelerating, sometimes up to 94 miles per hour, on a 30-mile ordeal. He alerted the CHP, which dispatched two patrol units.

“When I saw him, I could smell the brakes,” said Officer Todd Niebert, a 14-year CHP veteran, to the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I could see his brake lights coming on.”

"Niebert said he instructed Sikes to put the car in neutral and hit the emergency brake and the floor brakes simultaneously," reported the paper. "This, plus a slight incline, helped Sikes slow the car to about 50 mph. Finally, he was going slow enough to turn off the power, something he had been reluctant to do for fear of losing control when the car was speeding. With Niebert’s patrol car in front of him as a barrier, Sikes finally brought the Prius to a halt."

Support for LAist comes from

Toyota in a statement said they were sending a technical specialist to San Diego “to investigate the report and offer assistance."

Related: Prius Ad Along Freeway Becomes Temporary Memorial