The Whole World is Watching
In case you haven't noticed, the World Cup championship started Friday. This LAist plans to watch the Footballers Wives marathon on BBC America this weekend in preparation (did you know that Tanya has a blog?).
A reader asks where Angelenos rooting for teams from countries outside of the Americas and the Caribbean can watch the games. Here's a list for starters. Where will you watch?
1. Hollywood Football hosts the World Cup Breakfast series at the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Fans can grab a continental breakfast and watch the football live at the Egyptian Theatre. For those who'd rather drink their breakfast while watching the game, try the Pig & Whistle next door.
2. Can't make it to Germany for the championship? Soak up authentic German stadium atmosphere at the Goethe-Institut Los Angeles, where they promise to show all of the German team’s live matches in their screening room and Media lounge. Fans can indulge in that German treat "Frühschoppen," that's beer and sausage in the AM to the uninitiated, while watching the game.
3. Want a global prospective on the event? The Goethe Institute hosts an international weblog. One blogger for each nation playing will be commenting live on every game played by the team representing his country.
4. Those rooting for the team from Croatia can cheer with others at the Football Club on Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles football fans over at Onionbag.com also suggest:
5. Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena
6. Fox and the Hounds in Studio City
7. White Hart Lane Pub in Woodland Hills
8. Mr. G's Irish Pub in Chatsworth
9. Champs Elysees on Robertson Blvd in Beverly Hills
10. O'Brien's on Main in Venice or O'Brien's on Wilshire in Santa Monica are good bets tool
11. Joxer Daly's on Washington in Culver City just off the 405- club house for the LA Celtic Supporter's Club
12. British and Dominion Social Club for the Anglophiles
LAist also suggests:
13. The Prince at W Seventh St and Catalina
14. Bistro 4040 in South LA is a good place to find expat Africans, especially those rooting for teams from Sub Saharan countries.
15. mebbe Brits Fish & Chips on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena? They have a good bar area with TVs...
16. Cat & Fiddle on Sunset
17. The LA Celtic Supporters' Club