This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
The Week in Weed - North Pole Representing
- Torrance man found with 115 pounds of buds in his pickup in Ohio - Palladium-Item
- 90,000 marijuana plants were confiscated in the San Bernardino National Forrest this year - Daily Bulletin
- Mill Valley artist caught growing 297 marijuana plants, having 15 pounds of kush, and $65,000 in cash given four months of jail time - Marin IJ
- North Pole man goes on a high speed chase from Alaskan cops because he had a bag of weed on him - KTUU
- Michigan doctor says smoking pot is "a very bad way to administer good medicine." - Lansing State Journal
- Indian prison guard accused of trying to sneak weed and cigarettes into jail through chinese food - Indy Star
- "The duck was loaded with about 2 pounds of highgrade marijuana worth up to $8,000, said Lt. Faith Bell of the Sheriff’s Office. Crammed into SpongeBob was about 13 ounces of pressed hashish blocks, and nearly 10 pounds of lowgrade marijuana was found in the frog and duck." - News Herald
- Texas trucker forgets to turn on his lights as he drives away from warehouse, cops bust him, go into the warehouse and find 502 bales of mary jane equaling 10 tons - Star-Telegram
- NY gambling ring dabbles in weed: "The defendants had arranged a trip to the west coast to purchase over one-hundred pounds of marijuana when we confiscated the vehicle..." - North County Gazette
- Florida's #3 cash crop? We'll give you three guesses - CF News 13
- Oregon man busted for speeding found with 175 grams of pot. Admits to growing weed at home. Cops find 105 plants. He is only allowed to grow 24. - Washington Daily News
- San Andreas man breaks into Fire Station, smokes weed, eats firefighter's candy, found walking down the street in a fire department t-shirt - AP
- Arizona federal judge says that church who uses marijuana as sacrament is not being sincere. The couple who runs the church had been arrested for possessing 172 lbs of herb and could face 40 years in jail. - Arizona Daily Star
- Washington firemen find 94 pot plants while fighting fire - KNDO
- National Study on Drug Use and Health say drug use is down with teens but up with baby boomers - philly burbs
- North Dakota farmers want to grow hemp - Spokesman Review
photo by glen8p via buzznet
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.