This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
The Coffee Buzz
LAist often spends Monday mornings thinking back fondly to the time when our parents and their parents tumbled out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen and poured themselves a cup of ambition, and yawned and stretched and tried to come to life...It's just too bad for them that coffee wasn't the big business that it is today.
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf #4
12930 Ventura Boulevard
Studio City, CA 91604
Hours: Monday-Friday 4:30 AM–12:00 AM
Saturday & Sunday 5:30 AM–12:00 AM
The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf at the corner of Coldwater Canyon Boulevard and Ventura Boulevard in Studio City should be dubbed the I want to be older and cooler and since my cell phone and the car I drive isn't enough I'm going to sit out here all day in front of Coffee Bean pretending to like coffee, too Coffee Bean.
Although this location is open way early for Valley-ites getting geared up for their commute over the hills and through the woods to grandmother's house (Hollywood, the Westside and Downtown), the daylight hours are monopolized by local Valley teenagers looking for a cool place to hang out. Just some of their inane conversations center around...
1. Billy, and his cool H3.
2. How much of a poser Millicent is and how someday she's going to get it bad and then she'll learn not to screw with people whose parents control over 3% of the population through cigarette addiction.
3. Double-espresso lattes and how they make them feel funny.
4. The heat.
5. How it's not so hot.
6. How it's a cool, breezy hot kinda day which really isn't that hot so why do Richard and his wife always have to complain about it?
7. How Lindsey Lohan has so broken off her friendship with Tara Reid and it's all because she feels like Tara's breasts are overshadowing her own breasts.
8. Last night's re-run of The OC.
9. My father, and how he's better than Stacey's father simply based on the car that he drives.
10. A conversation that required whispering, whose only coherent words included double-D, silicone, watermelon, recovery and Bullwinkle.
But when the parents [you or your friends] are done with work and ready to return to your oasis in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, the Coffee Bean at Coldwater is ready for you with open arms — having dismissed the teenagers back to their BMW guarded ice-cream shops and clothing stores. Evening activities for adults at this location include laptop writing, laughter-filled conversations about investments and after-dinner desserts.
On the whole, LAist doesn't know where to place this location among the last four, but sure can't wait until next week's fifth shows up at the door — a location filled with mystery, intrigue and suspense...A location that will, up until next Saturday, be a mystery to you just as it will to us.
Until then, Buzz-off.