This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Virgin America, with its new non-stop route from LAX and SFO to Ft. Lauderdale starting 11/18.
- Pirate Radio,the new comedy starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman, from the creator of Love Actually. In theatres 11/13.
- Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, presenting Beethoven's Fifth Symphony tomorrow night.
- The Men Who Stare at Goats, the new movie starring George Clooney in theaters today.
- American Apparel, with 8 stores in LA, you can look your best after dark.
- GroupOn, using collective buying power to bring you one ridiculous coupon each day.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.