This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Ben & Jerry's Scoop Truck, out and about in the neighborhood! Track them down for some of their new Greek Frozen Yogurt. It's free!
- Virgin Skies. No matter where you're flying, you'll love globetrotting with Virgin Airlines.
- Bonobo's. Get 20% off your first purchase!
- Herb Ritts L.A. Style at The Getty. Now through August 26.
- 20x200. Affordable Art for Everyone.
- CUNY School of Professional Studies. You degree is closer than you think.
- Corona Light, a refreshing change of beer.
- The Little Fckers. 3 days only! May 18-May 20.
- American Apparel, with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
- Badoo. Meet new people. 150 million of them.
- How About We, for people who understand that you don't date online.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.