Teen Dies After Drug Overdose at Electric Daisy Carnival
15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez of Atwater was one of the over 100 people transported out of the Electric Daisy Carnival at the Coliseum this weekend to an area hospital. The teen was in respiratory arrest when she arrived, lapsed into a coma, and experienced organ failure.Sasha "died shortly before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday," according to the LA Times. Her parents had to decide whether to remove her from life support.
Sasha had ecstasy in her system when she was brought to the hospital, doctors told the girl's parents. "A 16-year old friend who was with Sasha at the rave said Sasha was dancing, got hot and began quickly drinking cold water," which actually shocked her body, since the ecstasy had compromised her body's ability to replace her depleted sodium and electrolytes efficiently.
The teen collapsed and hit her head on the ground, say friends, adding that despite trying to shield Sasha's body, "the venue was so crowded, people stepped on them."
Yesterday, prior to Sasha's death, medical professionals spoke out with concerns about a rave and concert event like Electric Daisy Carnival being held at a venue like the Coliseum, which is on public land and operated by city, county, and state commission.