Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Suspect In Pacific Palisades Mansion Standoff Found Dead

Support your source for local news!
The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Update [10:58 a.m.]: LAPD Public Information Officer Rosario Herrera has confirmed with LAist that the suspect was found dead in the Palisades home. Herrera could not confirm what time the man was discovered, nor the cause of his death.

Los Angeles Police responding to a domestic dispute remain in an ongoing situation with a man barricaded in a 9,300-square-foot Pacific Palisades home.

LAPD Officer Drake Madison told LAist that police received a 911 call around 10:52 p.m. on Wednesday night from a woman who had extricated herself from a violent domestic dispute. The incident involved her boyfriend, an unidentified man in his 50s, who had been heavily drinking, got a hold of a weapon, and allegedly tried to shoot the woman.

"He has a weapon registered to him, but that—we don't know the whereabouts of that weapon," LAPD Capt. Brian Wendling told CBS LA. "But the woman's mother had some weapons in the home and that's what he used and armed himself [with] while in the home."

Support for LAist comes from

"The initial shots [between the couple] were around 10:50 last night," Madison continued to LAist, "but the officer-involved shooting began around 5 a.m. Thursday morning," when the man allegedly shot at officers, and police returned fire.

According to CBS LA, the standoff with police began around 1 a.m. Thursday morning. At least 80 rounds of tear gas have since been fired by the SWAT team into the home at 1691 Alta Mura Road (valued at nearly $14 million), and four neighboring homes have been evacuated or contained. According to a CBS reporter, fire department personnel handed out gas masks to reporters at the scene.

As of 9:12 a.m., no officers had been injured in the ongoing standoff, and, due to the size of the home, the suspect has not yet been located inside the property. SWAT plans to deploy a robot into the barricaded home to located the man.

LAist will update this story as more information becomes available.

Most Read