Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Suspect And His Dog Lead Police On Two-Hour Car Chase

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A suspect led police on a two-hour car chase through the San Fernando Valley with a german shepherd in the passenger seat of his truck late Friday evening, ending in Sylmar early Saturday morning.

Police in San Fernando began chasing the suspect at 10:15 Friday evening, when the driver refused to pull over at the request of police, according to NBC. The police noticed the driver driving erratically and had no headlights on, according to CBS.The driver subsequently led the police in a circle around the San Fernando Valley, going on and off multiple freeways, including the 405, 5, and 210 freeways.

The San Fernando Police eventually requested backup from the California Highway Patrol. Throughout the entire chase, the driver never exceeded 75 mph, according to NBC. This is far slower than the usual high speeds present during a car chase.

Police eventually used the PIT maneuver to stop the truck near Tyler Street and Foothill Boulevard in Sylmar, according to City News Service. Animal Care and Control was contacted to monitor the well-being of the german shepherd. The driver resisted arrest, leading the police to tackle him after pulling him over. The german shepherd circled the police action nervously as his owner was arrested, and was unharmed. The driver was taken into custody and the german shepherd was released into the care of the driver's sister, according to CBS.