It’s Friday, Feb. 7 And Here Are The Stories We’re Following Today
It's been a week and we're still at it. Luckily there are a lot of fun things going on this weekend (25 to be exact) if you're ready to relax and take your mind off the news for a couple days. That said, please come back to us on Monday!
According to our friends at the National Weather Service, we're looking at mild weather today and over the weekend, at least in downtown L.A. Temperatures are expected to stay mostly in the 60s during the day, with highs in the low 70s on Saturday. But Sunday night? They're saying to expect rain.
What We’re Covering:
- Reporter David Wagner is looking into a proposal in L.A. to provide rental assistance for seniors, following similar programs in Santa Monica and Glendale.
- Actress Jane Fonda will be protesting at Los Angeles City Hall to demand action on climate change. The demonstration is an extension of the "Fire Drill Fridays" she's been staging in Washington, D.C., inspired by young climate activist Greta Thunberg.
- Tired of being stuck with a bad mugshot on your driver's license? Take Two producer Leo Duran will bring us more details on a state bill that would allow you to have up to three different photos taken at the DMV -- and then choose the one you want on your license.
In Case You Missed It:
- Voter alert! If you live in Hawthorne or Pomona, your vote-by-mail ballot is missing an entire measure.
- Once upon a time, the 2 Freeway was supposed to take a turn and head west all the way to the 405. It was even called the Beverly Hills Freeway. Take Two producer Lori Galarreta digs into the history of our most tolerable freeway.
- California's new gig worker law, AB 5, has been sort of unpopular with freelancers. In an acknowledgment of the complaints, the law's author, Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, said she's introducing some changes in the coming weeks.
- Ladies, L.A. lawmakers say they feel your pain. The city's now considering a proposal to stock feminine hygiene products in all city-owned facilities, for free.
- The Academy Awards ceremony happens this weekend, which means red carpet fashion, gold statuettes, and the rest for all the big celebs. What it means for drivers is a lot of street closures. Here's what you'll want to avoid.
- Finally, if you've ever wanted to own a pair of In-N-Out sneakers, now you can
Help Us Cover Your Community:
- Got something you’ve always wanted to know about Southern California and the people who call it home? Is there an issue you want us to cover? Ask us anything >>
- Have a tip about news on which we should dig deeper? Let us know >>
The news cycle moves fast. Some stories don't pan out. Others get added. Consider this today's first draft.