Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

SAG-AFTRA Calls For Hold On Productions Due To Covid Surge

Teala Dunn speaks to a crew during filming for the "Sony Collaboration Series" on December 18, 2019 in Culver City. (Timothy Norris/Getty Images for Sony)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Local hospitals are out of beds. Someone in Los Angeles county is infected with the coronavirus every six seconds. And dozens of TV production workers now have COVID-19.

The idea of filming a TV series, commercial or feature film around L.A. County is not only dangerous, it also runs the risk of creating more patients for an overtaxed health care system. So on Sunday, representatives for actors, producers and advertisers said they want all local filming to stop immediately.

"Southern California hospitals are facing a crisis the likes of which we have never seen before," Gabrielle Carteris, the president of the actors' union SAG/AFTRA said in a statement. "This is not a safe environment for in-person production right now."

Stacy Marcus, the chief negotiator for the Joint Policy Committee, which represents advertisers, added:

"It is simply too great a risk to performers, crew, and industry personnel to continue production knowing that hospitals are in crisis mode and the number of cases continues to rise."

TV crew members wearing facemasks stand outside a building during a TV shoot in the Arts District on November 18, 2020. (VALERIE MACON/AFP via Getty Images)
Late last month, the L.A. County Department of Public Health recommended production be halted for a few weeks as local infection rates and deaths hit all-time highs.

Film LA, which tracks on-location shooting, says the shutdown will largely affect commercial production, which accounts for half of local filming and was gearing up for ads for the Super Bowl, scheduled for Feb. 7.

Sponsored message

Because of the pandemic, December's film and TV production was down sharply from a year ago. Most big studios and streaming sites previously paused production until later this month.

Warner Bros., CBS, NBC Universal and Netflix all have reported multiple new coronavirus cases, including people working on the TV shows The Kominsky Method, Never Have I Ever and Mr. Mayor.

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today