This Weekend's DUI Checkpoints
Law enforcement agencies in L.A. County have announced information regarding planned sobriety and driver's license checkpoints and saturation patrols for this weekend.
"Research shows that crashes involving alcohol drop by an average of 20 percent when well-publicized checkpoints are conducted often enough," the Los Angeles Police Department have said regarding their activity at these checkpoints.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent, points out the Pasadena Police Department, who will be conducting a checkpoint Friday as well.
Friday, March 1, 2013
- Sobriety & Driver’s License Checkpoint: 8PM to 2AM, Hyperion Avenue at Scotland Street, Silver Lake
- Sobriety & Driver’s License Checkpoint: 8PM to 2AM, Figueroa Street at 9th Street, Downtown
- DUI Saturation Patrol: 7PM to 3AM, Hollywood Area
- DUI Checkpoint: 7PM to 3AM, Pasadena
- DUI Checkpoint: 6PM to 2AM, Carson
Saturday, March 2, 2013
- Sobriety & Driver’s License Checkpoint: 8PM to 2AM, Cahuenga Boulevard at Broadlawn Drive, North Hollywood
At the checkpoints, motorists can expect officers to assess them for signs of alcohol and/or drug impairment, and to ask for proper licensing. The goal is to only keep motorists for a brief amount of time. But if you're busted, things aren't going to be pretty: "Drivers caught driving impaired can expect jail, license suspension, and insurance increases, as well as fines, fees, DUI classes, other expenses that can exceed $10,000."
Bottom line: Be smart! If you're headed out anywhere this weekend and become intoxicated, use a designated driver, take public transit, or call a cab.
For more on why the LAPD shares checkpoint schedules and locations with the media, see our 2010 interview with Chief Charlie Beck.