Extra, Extra: From Storms to Sunsets
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Want a user-friendly list of area Apple stores and their current inventory of new iPhones? A few hours ago, that'd be possible, but apparently Apple shut it down.
- Get out your camera's on Sunday and/or Monday evening for what promises to be some great sunsets. Science Dude predicts that moisture from tropical storm Dolly will force some dank clouds into our skyline. Afterward, don't forget to upload your photos to LAist's Flickr pool!
- Guns kill people, and unfortunately sometimes guns kill innocent people. Last night, an 8-year-old girl was killed when a stray bullet hit her in the chest while she was playing in her apartment's courtyard.
- A 17-year-old wrestler died from complications of a drug-resistant staph infection in Downey this weekend. Noah Armendariz, "developed a rash and flu-like symptoms after returning from a high school wrestling camp in Lake Arrowhead last month," said his mother, Cynthia Magana. His sickness got worse and lead to pneumonia and holes in his lungs.
- The jurors in the trial of former LA city commissioner, Leland Wong began deliberations today. Wong is accused of 21 felony counts including paying for sex acts for him and his buddies (including former Deputy Mayor Troy Edwards) with Kaiser Permanente money (his former employer) . Edwards stated in his testimony that, "some of the massages involved sexual fondling by a masseuse, but there were no other sex acts." Oh, so it sounds pretty innocent then...
- The Kinney-Tabor House in Venice has been given Historic-Cultural Monument Status. For some background about Albert Kinney (Venice founder) and his friend and assistant, Irving Tabor, click on over to Curbed LA.
- The WNBA has handed out 11 suspensions in the LA Sparks vs. Detroit Shocks brawl that occurred during Tuesday's game. The suspensions will be staggered so both teams can meet minimum player requirements each game.
- Do you twitter? Has it been acting kinda "hinky" lately? LA Snark has some info. for ya.