Extra, Extra: California is Broke, Time to Pony Up!
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- The Governator is looking for some extra cash to pad California's budget deficit, and he's planning to get it from you. Schwarzenegger unveiled a plan to raise taxes by 1 1/2 cents on the dollar (that means tax would be 10.25%!!!), impose a 5-cent-per-drink tax on alcohol and a $12 increase in vehicle registration fees. Hold onto your wallet though, Republicans said they're going to shoot it down.
- Authorities are on the lookout for a man wanted in the attempted kidnapping of a 10-year-old Montrose girl. The man, described as having short spiked black hair, stained, crooked teeth and a Latino accent was driving a classic "molester car" - a large, older-model white sedan with a painted black door, dark tinted windows and a broken right headlight lens cover.
- LA's got a new blog, and this one is definitely worth an RSS subscription. The OG's (meaning Original Gangstas, or Original Grandparents) is a blog run by Harry and Barbara Cooper, 96 and 91 respectively, and LAMetblogs describes them as "bright and witty."
- A Nursing Home escapee in the OC was nabbed (and almost killed) when she meandered onto busy Fairview Street near the St. Edna's Subacute and Rehabilitation Center. The elderly woman moving inch-by-inch was saved when a new driver and his mother stopped in time, moved the woman out of the street, and took her back to St. Edna's. This isn't the first "neglect incident" from St. Edna's.....
- With Measure R barely passing, BottleneckBlog's Steve Hymon posted a victorious Google Map showing who voted Y/N. Don't worry, he didn't name name's.
- Mattel is cutting it's workforce by $1,000 employees. Just in time for Christmas!