This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: California is Broke, Time to Pony Up!
Photo by jtstrathdee via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- The Governator is looking for some extra cash to pad California's budget deficit, and he's planning to get it from you. Schwarzenegger unveiled a plan to raise taxes by 1 1/2 cents on the dollar (that means tax would be 10.25%!!!), impose a 5-cent-per-drink tax on alcohol and a $12 increase in vehicle registration fees. Hold onto your wallet though, Republicans said they're going to shoot it down.
- Authorities are on the lookout for a man wanted in the attempted kidnapping of a 10-year-old Montrose girl. The man, described as having short spiked black hair, stained, crooked teeth and a Latino accent was driving a classic "molester car" - a large, older-model white sedan with a painted black door, dark tinted windows and a broken right headlight lens cover.
- LA's got a new blog, and this one is definitely worth an RSS subscription. The OG's (meaning Original Gangstas, or Original Grandparents) is a blog run by Harry and Barbara Cooper, 96 and 91 respectively, and LAMetblogs describes them as "bright and witty."
- A Nursing Home escapee in the OC was nabbed (and almost killed) when she meandered onto busy Fairview Street near the St. Edna's Subacute and Rehabilitation Center. The elderly woman moving inch-by-inch was saved when a new driver and his mother stopped in time, moved the woman out of the street, and took her back to St. Edna's. This isn't the first "neglect incident" from St. Edna's.....
- With Measure R barely passing, BottleneckBlog's Steve Hymon posted a victorious Google Map showing who voted Y/N. Don't worry, he didn't name name's.
- Mattel is cutting it's workforce by $1,000 employees. Just in time for Christmas!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.