This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Trust Tomatoes on Wednesdays
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" Photo by hinducow via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Still wary of the tomato? Rest assured that you're getting quality this summer at West LA's, Il Grano. Chef Salvatore Marino has a special Wednesday menu which includes his 40 varieties of home grown tomatoes.
- Before you go and make an offer on the LA Times building in Downtown, make sure you know it's history. Cara Mia DiMassa over at latimesblog gives us the abridged version.
- Any thoughts on the new Metro Board Chair? What about the old Metro Board Chair? Actually, they're one in the same says la.streetsblog. Congratulations Mr. Villaraigosa, (not) everyone is excited!
- The Venice Neighborhood Council just appointed two co-chairs for the Committee on Homelessness and Vehicular Living. Mark Ryavec, the new co-chair said he has "long been dismayed at our society's failure to address the needs of the indigent and homeless amongst us." Good luck guys, that's a tough gig!
- Mountain bikers, rejoice! The Whiting Ranch Wilderness park opens back up soon and you can hit the trails. The park has been closed since October's wildfires destroyed almost all vegetation and wildlife.
- The Marina has become infested with gigantic rats!
- You missed spring cleaning, summer's here and it's time to get organized. Start by cleaning off the desk in front of you, then buy Getting Things Done by David Allen. But don't take if from me. For more life saving tips, get The 4-Hour Workweek. Best advice you got all week!
- How many gymnasts can fit into a Smart car? Right, lucky #13.
- You think growing enough fruits and vegetables to support a family of four is impossible in Los Angeles? Don't tell Debra over at Apartment Therapy.
- Since Carlin's passing, everyone's hopped on "I'm the biggest Carlin fan, you don't even know," but the blog View From A Loft found an artist who paid his tribute before most of us.
- LAST CALL! Sigur Rós tickets for FREE! Click here and tell us your favorite non-car mode of getting around LA.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.