This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: A Legend Rests, Smokers Get Pushed
Photo by victoriabernal via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Smokers beware, you are being shunned from Thousand Oaks. In a victory for Thousand Oaks residents who enjoy healthy lungs, their outdoor smoking ban has just been tightened.
- George Carlin will be laid to rest in a private funeral and fans are asked to make donations to a few organizations in his name. Rest in Peace, you c@$k su@ke$ mother f#c$er!
- California's Attorney General filed a lawsuit against debunked, Countrywide Financial for misrepresenting pretty much every home loan they've given in the past few years. This comes a day after the Attorney General of Illinois filed a similar suit against Countrywide.
- In the creep out story of the day, A San Clemente family of 5 was found dead in their home in a possible group suicide. Mom & Dad were in a closet with a gun, two 21-year-old twins were in a bed adjacent to the closet, and Grandma was found in a chaise-lounge.
- Two consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole was thrown down on Shawna Robles today. Back in 2003 she stabbed an elderly couple in Monrovia and was convicted April 24th of first degree murder.
- Judge Kelly MacEachern in Newport Beach was removed from the bench today because she filed false reimbursement slips for unnecessary expenses at a conference in San Diego. Basically she tried to get in a class, it was full, but instead of coming back to work, she stayed in her hotel for a week and is now asking for reimbursement. Do you swear to tell the truth?
- What's the major reason people are driving less? Pam Gorniak, a Caltrans spokeswoman says it could be "high gas prices, fewer truckers and students on the road, and carpooling." What do you think, have you seen less people on the road these days?
- The Santa Monica Pier kicks off it's Twilight Dance Series tonight with The Bonedaddys and Crown City Rockers. Remember to get their early, pack enough wine, bread and cheese to feed the group and tip the bike valet's. It may be complimentary, but it's worth a buck or two.
- Although bike valets aren't available in every part of the city, do you feel that some racks are experiencing overcrowding? The Bottleneck Blog takes a look.
- Are you in the running yet for the FREE Sigur Rós tickets? Don't wait til the last minute (tomorrow)! Go to the post and tell us about your favorite alternative transportation in LA.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.