Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Morning Briefing: LA, Undercounted

AltaMed's promotora Estuardo Ardon shuffles around with their mobile census kiosk. (Caitlin Hernandez/LAist)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Never miss a morning briefing. Subscribe today to get our A.M. newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Good morning, L.A.

In case you missed it amidst the constant breaking news of late, the U.S. is currently in the throes of the 2020 census. Households across the country are responding so their communities can receive adequate funding for critical resources, such as Medi-Cal, Medicaid, school lunches, highway planning, foster care, and more.

But in L.A., some census workers believe that officials may have prematurely ended efforts to reach thousands of residents, leaving those folks unaccounted for. Melissa Garza, an L.A.-area census supervisor, told my colleague Caroline Champlin that officials gave up on an estimated 30,000 households after only one day of trying to reach them in person.

“If no one was home, then they closed out the attempt,” Garza said. “Or if somebody had a locked gate, they would close that out, so we wouldn’t go back there again.”

This comes in the middle of an epic back-and-forth between the Trump administration and a group of activists who say that the administration is shutting the census count down too early, leaving underserved communities more likely to be overlooked – and less likely to receive needed federal funds.

Keep reading for more on what’s happening in L.A. today, and stay safe out there.

Sponsored message

Jessica P. Ogilvie


Coming Up Today, September 30

As one of the highest paid city managers in California, Tom DeSantis has drawn criticism from Moreno Valley residents after making more than half-a-million dollars after retiring last year. Myra Wu reports for USC's Annenberg Media and KPCC/LAist.

The federal government uses census data to determine funding for Pell grants. Dana Amihere has the story of one local community college student who says a Pell grant helped make a college education possible, which changed her life.

Mike Roe reports on a new book of photography that documents iconic, vintage L.A. locations.

So-called peer respite facilities provide short-term mental health crisis care and are majority-run by peers with lived experience of mental illness. Research indicates they can be a highly effective alternative to hospitalization during crises. Robert Garrova visits one of the two such centers in LA.

Sponsored message

Never miss an LAist story. Sign up for our daily newsletters.


The Past 24 Hours In LA

L.A. Kids: The L.A. County Board of Supervisors will allow schools to apply for waivers to resume in-person instruction for students in transitional kindergarten up to second grade. The LAUSD board discussed how to reduce the L.A. School Police budget by 35%. For years, California has funded K-12 schools at rates that lag behind other states — and many educators blame Prop. 13.

Census 2020: Some census workers have sent an email to a federal court saying there were tens of thousands of early case-closings in the L.A. area.

Money Matters: Disney is laying off 28,000 theme park employees in the U.S.— about a quarter of its domestic workforce.

Sponsored message

Photo Of The Day

A child is baptized at an outdoor ceremony at the historic Our Lady Queen of Angels (La Placita) Church.

(Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Help Us Cover Your Community

  • Got something you’ve always wanted to know about Southern California and the people who call it home? Is there an issue you want us to cover? Ask us anything.
  • Have a tip about news on which we should dig deeper? Let us know.

The news cycle moves fast. Some stories don't pan out. Others get added. Consider this today's first draft, and check LAist.com for updates on these stories and more. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Sponsored message

This post has been updated to reflect changes in what's coming up for today.


icon

DON'T MISS ANY L.A. CORONAVIRUS NEWS
Get our daily newsletters for the latest on COVID-19 and other top local headlines.


Terms of Use and Privacy Policy


One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today