Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Morning Briefing: First Release Of L.A. Sheriff’s Department’s Body Cam Footage Is Promised

Newly elected Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva was sworn in Monday, Dec. 3.

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Never miss a morning briefing. Subscribe today to get our A.M. newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Good morning, L.A.

In the first test of its newly-deployed body cameras, the L.A. Sheriff’s Department will release footage from the camera worn by the deputy who fatally shot Fred Williams III last Friday afternoon.

Williams, who was 25, was killed in Willowbrook. According to the department, he was at Mona Park when the deputies’ patrol car drove by. The department claims the deputies spotted Williams holding a gun and alleges he ran after seeing the deputies.

Following a chase into a nearby yard, the department says the deputy started shooting because Williams was "pointing his firearm at him." A family spokesman counters that Williams was trying to climb a wall to escape when he was shot.

Those shots struck Williams, ending his life. We’ll continue to follow this story as it develops.

Keep reading for more on what’s happening in L.A. today, and stay safe out there.

Sponsored message

Jessica P. Ogilvie


Coming Up Today, October 21

Aaron Schrank will report on what it was like to watch the Dodgers play the first game of the World Series from the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

Nursing homes have been devastated by the coronavirus, and a new study finds that people who work at multiple nursing homes may help spread the disease. But limiting health workers’ jobs could hurt the workforce that the facilities rely on. Jackie Fortiér has the story.

Never miss an LAist story. Sign up for our daily newsletters.


Sponsored message

The Past 24 Hours In LA

Coronavirus Updates: Large theme parks such as Disneyland and Universal Studios won't be allowed to reopen until their counties have minimal spread of COVID-19. California will have a review process of any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the FDA, regardless of which presidential candidate wins in November.

Deadly Conception Boat Fire: We may never know what sparked the flames that killed 34 people onboard the Conception dive boat last year, as federal investigators said today they couldn't find the exact cause of that deadly fire.

Election 2020: L.A. County officials will empty every ballot box daily, after a fire at a dropoff box in Baldwin Park.

Policing Law Enforcement: The L.A. Sheriff’s Department will release body cam video of a deputy's fatal shooting of Fred Williams III in Willowbrook.


Sponsored message

Photo Of The Day

Tonya Swain points to her "I Voted" sticker while donning an "I Can't Breathe" face mask, after casting her vote in Norwalk.

(Photo by Frederic J. Brown/AFP via Getty Images)

Help Us Cover Your Community

  • Got something you’ve always wanted to know about Southern California and the people who call it home? Is there an issue you want us to cover? Ask us anything.
  • Have a tip about news on which we should dig deeper? Let us know.

The news cycle moves fast. Some stories don't pan out. Others get added. Consider this today's first draft, and check LAist.com for updates on these stories and more. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

This post has been updated to reflect changes in what's coming up for today.

Sponsored message

Correction: An earlier version of this story misidentified where the ballot box fire took place. LAist regrets the error.


icon

DON'T MISS ANY L.A. CORONAVIRUS NEWS
Get our daily newsletters for the latest on COVID-19 and other top local headlines.


Terms of Use and Privacy Policy


One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today