Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Morning Brief: The Harassment Continues

A Trump flag is shown flying over the Long Beach Public Safety Building. The police department said the flag was not authorized, and has opened a criminal investigation. (Courtesy of Ian Thomas Malone)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Good morning, L.A.

After enduring Wednesday’s violent attack in Washington. D.C., some Southern California members of Congress were harassed on their flights home.

Congresswoman Linda Sanchez, whose district bridges Orange and L.A. counties, said that her fellow passengers also called the siege of the Capitol “patriotic,” and were “gleeful” about it for the duration of the flight.

"I had to bite my tongue,” she said.

Sanchez said that she’d been concerned on her way in to work on Wednesday morning, noting the distinct lack of police presence despite the fact that pro-Trump extremists had been planning their actions in the open.

“Intelligence had warned that there was a problem, that things could get violent, and that information was not passed along to Capitol Police because the Department of Defense has been politicized,” she said. “That was an epic, epic failure.”

Keep reading for more on what’s happening in L.A. today, and stay safe out there.

Sponsored message

What You Need To Know Today

SoCal’s Surge: L.A. County health officials on Sunday confirmed 14,482 new cases of coronavirus and 166 deaths, bringing the total number of cases to 920,177 and total deaths to 12,250. A team of approximately 20 federal military medical personnel are providing support treating COVID-19 patients in Riverside County.

The Vaccine: Some frontline healthcare workers and first responders are hesitant to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, so the LAFD Foundation is now offering them cash prizes.

The Capitol Siege: Some of Southern California’s Democratic members of Congress experienced harassment from Trump supporters on their return trip from the nation’s capital. Arnold Schwarzenegger released a seven-minute video on Twitter comparing the Proud Boys and others in Wednesday’s violent mob to the Nazis during Kristallnacht.

Testing, Testing: L.A. County will stop using Curative’s COVID-19 test at some sites after the FDA said the test poses a “risk of false results, particularly false negative results.”

California Kids: Gov. Gavin Newsom’s budget proposal calls for a $500 million investment toward the long-term goal of universal preschool, but promises little immediate relief for providers struggling to operate during the pandemic.

Sponsored message

The Bees’ Knees: Researchers at UC Riverside are launching a multi-campus project to save the declining honey bee population.


Before You Go… A Mural For Local Heroes

The new mural of local civil rights leaders outside the ACLU of Southern California's downtown L.A. office. (Courtesy of Elon Schoenholz)

A new 5,500 square-foot mural is going up in Westlake, on the front of the ACLU’s headquarters.

The piece, designed by ACLU artist-in-residence Audrey Chan, honors local civil rights activists, including Melina Abdullah, Hector Barajas and Upton Sinclair.

"It's really rooted in stories based in Southern California of fighting for racial justice, holding systems of policing and incarceration accountable, people who are defending the rights of immigrants and LGBTQ communities and students rights," said Chan.

Sponsored message

Help Us Cover Your Community

  • Got something you’ve always wanted to know about Southern California and the people who call it home? Is there an issue you want us to cover? Ask us anything.
  • Have a tip about news on which we should dig deeper? Let us know.

The news cycle moves fast. Some stories don't pan out. Others get added. Consider this today's first draft, and check LAist.com for updates on these stories and more. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Never miss an LAist story. Sign up for our daily newsletters.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today