Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


More Unsettled Questions About Body Discovered in Tow Yard

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Details continue to emerge about the strange case of the woman whose body was found at a towyard the day after she died in a car crash in the San Fernando Valley. The woman had been driving with her son, who now claims that his epilepsy caused him to crash the car -- and to forget he had his mother in the car with him. He believes a seizure may have led him to drive his car into a building. From the Los Angeles Times:

"The man whose 72-year-old mother was left behind in a crumpled car towed to a police impound lot said Wednesday that he remembers little about the car crash that killed her and put him in a hospital intensive care unit. "From his hospital bed, Steven Williams, 48, of Paso Robles, Calif., said he has epilepsy and believes that he had a seizure in the moments before he slammed the car into a Tarzana strip mall Saturday morning....Steven Williams said he could not recall the crash and did not even know why he pulled off the 101 Freeway in the San Fernando Valley while he and his mother were on their way to see a friend in Costa Mesa.

"Also a blur is when rescuers arrived to help, he said. Paramedics first on the scene told investigators that Williams told them he was alone.

"I find that hard to believe," he said. "I would have said, 'Yes my mother is in there, save her.' "

Even more mysterious is how the firefighters who arrived at the scene could overlook the body of an average-sized woman -- she is listed as 5'3", 145 pounds. Several authorities, including the LAPD, are conducting investigations and reviewing emergency protocols to figure out how much a thing could have happened:
Support for LAist comes from

"How the hell could all those firefighters be [there] for more than an hour and not see that body?" the fire official said Tuesday.