More Mindless Chatter About the Game (aka Where Can I Get a Pair of Gator Boots?)
So here we are again. Familiar faces all around. 40 minutes. How will you be remembered? Making history or rewriting history?
Henry has already laid out the LAist position for tomorrow's national semifinal matchup between Florida and UCLA. Of course, most of the sports world believes the Gators will outclass the Bruins. Vegas has Florida listed as 3 point favorites. Virtually every writer from every major sports publication (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Sportsline) is picking the Gators to advance. Not since the Persians took on the Spartans in the Battle of Thermopylae has a matchup appeared so one-sided on paper.
Yes, Florida has the same lineup which spanked UCLA last year, and they're in pursuit of college basketball immortality. But the Bruins have busted their asses for a whole year for this one opportunity to make things right. Payback is a bitch.
In the LAist tradition of highlighting the shortcomings of our counterparts in the Southeast, here’s a few reasons why UCLA is better than Florida, and why there will be a new ending to the story when the final buzzer goes off tomorrow night:
- Honestly, when your best player dances like a baboon undergoing electroshock therapy, there’s no way your team can possibly be taken seriously - YouTube
- Arron Afflalo, first-team All-American. Most clutch performer on the court. Last time the Bruins had a first-team All-American? Ed O’Bannon, 1995. How did the Bruins do that year? National champs - Long Beach Press Telegram
- The face of Gator Nation: Billy Donovan. Or is that the face of Wildcat Nation? Coach Donovan may have a few other things on his mind besides the Bruins - Florida Today
- The last time the finalists from the previous year met in the Final Four? 1991. Heavy underdog Duke taking on seemingly invincible UNLV who had won the previous year by 30. The result? Slightly different than the first time around - ESPN
- Dissing the greatest college basketball coach of all-time? Just adding more fuel to the fire. Who the hell is Walter Hodge? - LA Times
- Just because Marisa Miller said so. 'Nuff said - Sports Illustrated
AP photo by Marcio Jose Sanchez