Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


North Hollywood Couple Disappears After Christmas Trip To Big Sur

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

Police are hoping the public can help locate a North Hollywood couple who went missing after a weekend in Big Sur. Olivia Hannah Gonzalez, 20, and her boyfriend, Brian Fernandez, 21, were last seen on Friday, December 23 as they were leaving to drive to Big Sur, according to a release form the LAPD. They had told family that they would return to Los Angeles on Christmas Day. However, they did not return on Christmas and have not been seen since.

Gonzalez's sister, Vanessa Guzman, told KTLA that her family last heard from Gonzalez on Friday afternoon at about 1 p.m. Gonzalez sent Guzman's husband a text message letting them know they were about two hours away from their destination. By 4 p.m., Guzman said both of their phones were off. That Friday text is the last time anyone has heard from either Gonzalez or Fernandez.

Gonzalez is described as a 20-year-old Hispanic woman who is 5'6" and about 120 pounds with blonde hair and brown eyes. Fernandez is a 21-year-old Hispanic man who is 5'8" and about 160 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. He was driving a 2004 four-door tan Honda Civic, with the California license plate 5VUD295. Anyone with information should contact Detective Palmer with the LAPD Missing Persons Unit during business hours or 1-877-527-3247 during non-business hours. Anonymous tips may be submitted via LA Crime Stoppers here.

Previous efforts to find a missing Los Angeles couple who vanished after going on a getaway to Joshua Tree in mid-November were successful after the couple was found unharmed in Mexico. They stated that they had gotten lost near the Imperial Sand Dunes, leaving them to wander for five days before they were found by Border Patrol.