Extra Extra: It's Fucking Hot Out Here
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- Some fresh AIR would be really great right about now. Har har har!!! I'm such a card. Now, really, how about Air at the Greek this month, courtesy of LAist: head on over to enter our Labor Day Weekend Air Contest.
- In the category of Thank God It Hasn't Happened to Us Yet: over twenty thousand homes and businesses have lost power this weekend.
- If you're on the roads tonight, please drive safely, use your seatbelt, and don't drink: highway deaths this weekend are already double last year's numbers.
- Those of you suffering through 100+ degree weather today, have hope: the heat will be letting up by the end of the week.
- The Hollywood box office has been pretty hot this summer as well: studios are reporting their first four-billion-dollar summer, thanks to tried-and-true blockbusters like Spiderman 3 and breakout hits like Knocked Up.
- The weird weather has sparked more brushfires in the northern parts of the county: firefighters guess that lightning started three more blazes in Lancaster, Acton, and Big Bear.
- Even a little bit of that rain would be nice right now: Central America braces itself for Hurricane Felix, which has now been downgraded to a Category Four storm.
- The Bryan twins, of Camarillo, have been trouncing the competition in U.S. Open doubles matches this weekend.
- Lebanese forces raided a Palestinian refugee camp today, killing 39 people, one of whom may be suspected terrorist leader Shaker al-Abssi, the leader of Fatah al-Islam.
- Expect the 2008 Presidential campaigns to kick into high gear after this weekend: Labor Day is traditionally when races begin to heat up for the following year's elections.
- The only thing in consumer electronics hotter than the iPhone are the rumors about Google's $100 iPhone-killer - today five "facts" were confirmed
- We hope Dooce and her husband had a romantic anniversary a nice return to LA