Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


MMA Fighter's Son Killed By Suspected Drunk Driver

Our June member drive is live: protect this resource!
Right now, we need your help during our short June member drive to keep the local news you read here every day going. This has been a challenging year, but with your help, we can get one step closer to closing our budget gap. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership.

MMA fighter Marcus Kowal's young son was killed by a hit and run driver over the holiday weekend as the child's teenage aunt pushed him in a stroller.Marcus Kowal and Mishel Eder's son, Liam Kowal, was only 15 months old. Tragically, at about 4:15 p.m. on Saturday, Eder's 15-year-old sister was pushing her nephew in a stroller when they were hit by an SUV at Hawthorne Blvd. and 133rd St. in Hawthorne, OC Register reports. The driver, 72-year-old Donna Marie Higgins, drove away from the scene, but was followed by witnesses, police said. Higgins was surrounded and detained by citizens until police arrived and arrested her. Currently, she is being held on suspicion of a hit-and-run and drunken driving, but could face additional charges.

Rescuers found the teenage girl sprawled in the crosswalk, while the baby remained in his stroller without a pulse, according to CBS Los Angeles. CPR was performed on the boy and he was placed in the ICU at a nearby hospital, but succumbed to his injuries on Sunday, according to a post on Kowal's Facebook page:

About an hour ago, our baby was declared brain dead. He tried to fight so hard. He even died at one point but they brought him back. He's a little fighter. His heart is still beating but his brain is no longer working. Our hearts are broken and there's a void in my soul but we will get through this.

Kowal and Eder decided to donate their son's organs after his death, KTLA reports, in the hopes that other children's lives might be saved.

Support for LAist comes from

Kowal told KTLA that Eder's sister is going through surgery, but will ultimately be okay. "She's blaming herself and of course it's not her fault," he said. "It's only one person's fault."

A GoFundMe has been set up to cover the funeral expenses and medical bills.

Most Read