Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

LAUSD To Trump: Stay Away From Our Kids And Off Our Campuses

4406917836_72fc04d508_z.jpeg
A mother drops her daughter off at at Farmdale Elementary (Photo by neontommy via the LAist Featured Photos pool)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted on Tuesday to reaffirm its campuses as safe zones for undocumented students. The resolution stipulates that school staff will bar federal immigration agents from entering a campus without the approval of the superintendent or the district's lawyers.

This resolution is a reiteration of a similar one that was voted in back in February. The guidelines are largely the same. But, according to LAUSD Board President Steve Zimmer, Tuesday's resolution clarifies language to further protect papers and documents that pertain to the students. "This may end up being critical," Zimmer told LAist. "Earlier this year, we defined the physical and instructional safety of our campuses. But the resolution last night, I would argue, makes it more clear that the records of our children and employees—anything that may identify certain things—will be safe too."

Certainly, Tuesday's vote was a direct response to comments made by the President-elect before and after the election. In a broadcast of 60 Minutes on Sunday, Donald Trump told journalist Lesley Stahl that he intends to immediately deport somewhere between 2 to 3 million undocumented immigrants. While he added that the focus will be on "gang members" and "people with criminal records," the anxiety caused from his remarks has not been mitigated. On Monday, hundreds of high school students across L.A. staged a walk-out to protest the election of Trump.

"It's important to look at the rhetoric the President-elect chose to use during the election, and we have no reason to believe he doesn't mean what he said. It's heightened anxiety among our students and our parents,"said Zimmer. "But, of course, that fear was already present, even before the election."

Zimmer says that the resolutions have not yet been put to the test, as U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents have not yet attempted to enter school campuses. In a 2011 memorandum, ICE said that the agency's policy is that "enforcement actions do not occur at nor are focused on sensitive locations such as schools and churches." While the threat of ICE may not be imminent on school campuses, Zimmer says that parts of the resolution have been in play. He says that one component of the resolutions is a call to enlighten campuses on the sensitive subjects surrounding a student's undocumented status. "There are support systems in place, for families at risk, for families facing deportation. We're educating our educators about the subject," said Zimmer.

The resolutions do allow for a (limited) number of scenarios in which federal agents may be let onto campus. One such scenario could be a human trafficking investigation, or a case in which public safety is under imminent threat. But Zimmer reiterates that the LAUSD's main concern is the safety of its students.

"We don't take anything for granted. Since the morning of November 9, and before that, our role is to ensure that our children know that we love and believe in them. And we're telling them that we'll protect them against any aggression by federal authorities that may take place at school sites," said Zimmer.

Sponsored message

The LAUSD enrolls more than 640,000 students at over 900 schools and 187 public charter schools. In 2011, Latinos made up about 73% of the school district's student population.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today