Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Gap Narrows But Latinos Still Bearing Brunt of COVID-19 In LA

People walk past a store selling face coverings in East Los Angeles. (ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

During the recent peak of the pandemic in July, Latinos in Los Angeles County had four times the number of new COVID-19 cases as white residents. County health director Barbara Ferrer said Wednesday that the rate of infections among Latinos in the county is still consistently higher than in all other groups, but the gap is closing.

Ferrer said:

"As of October 11, the case rate amongst Latinx residents is now twice the rate for white residents. Compare that to four times the rate in July."

And the case rate among Black residents has also dropped.

"The case rate now among Black residents is less than that of white residents. The case rate amongst Asian residents continues to be the lowest," she said.

Earlier this month the state instituted an “equity metric” that forces large counties like Los Angeles to show they are investing in bringing down COVID-19 cases in their most vulnerable neighborhoods.

Sponsored message

That means hitting goals both for overall testing and in lowering the percentage of new positive cases, in areas that have been disproportionately harmed by the pandemic for socioeconomic reasons.

Ferrer urged caution as new COVID-19 cases have ticked up recently.

Since the pandemic began, more than 290,000 people in L.A. County have tested positive for the virus, and 6,944 people have died.

READ MORE:

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter. To support our nonprofit public service journalism: Donate now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today