LAistory: Tail O' The Pup
We in Los Angeles like our big food. Big, architectural, junk food that is. Perhaps the king of big food is the Tail 'o the Pup, a hot dog stand designed in the shape of a hot dog in a bun. Already moved once from its original location where the Beverly Center now stands, the Tail O'the Pup was declared by the City of Los Angeles to be a cultural landmark. In 2005, it was moved again, to make room for developers.
Tail O' the Pup was the creation of Milton J. Black, and it was finished in 1946. It orginally stood at 311 La Cienega Boulevard. It was part of an architectural movement in Los Angeles, called Programmatic, where things were built in the shape of the products they sold to attract the attention of a population increasingly speeding by in cars. Los Angeles eventually outgrew this mid-century whimsy and few buildings in this style persist. In 1946, it would have stood across the street from Beverly Park, the amusement park (complete with a ferris wheel, fun house, and boat and pony rides) that stood where the Beverly Center is now. (LA used to be a lot more fun!)