LACityNerd's Top 10 Events in 2006 that Impact the Future of the City of Los Angeles
As the year comes to a close, LAist is asking famous celebs, local politicians, and other movers & shakers of LA to tell us what they thought were tops of 2006.
LACityNerd hit the blogging scene earlier this year and this cat has blown us away with the knowledge and history that is spewed upon the blog. Who is it? We will never know. At least we are allowed to ask questions. Lots of questions. Whoever you are, Nerd, rock it in 2007 baby. Rock it.
1. Voters pass Measure R, which extends the terms from 2 to 3 for city councilmembers
2. Mayor Villaraigosa's trip to Sacramento the day before the passage of AB1381
3. Mayor Villaraigosa proposes (and passes) raising trash fees to "pay
for more cops"
4. Implementation of the Venice Beach Ocean Front Walk "Free Speech Protection" ordinance
5. Election of Eric Garcetti as City Council President
6. The City Council Votes to expand the elephant enclosures at the LA Zoo
7. The Neighborhood Council Review ("912") Commission is established
8. Gail Goldberg is hired to be the City's new Director of Planning
9. Groundbreaking for Metro's "Expo Line"
10. Council approves to meet and begins meeting in the Valley once a month
Photo by jimw via Flickr