The 2011 LA Marathon: Street Closures, Transit Changes & Course Map
View 2011 LA Marathon route in a larger map (Map created by the Los Angeles Times)
On your mark, get set...go out on Sunday knowing what the 2011 LA Marathon street closures are!
In November, the LA Marathon released the official updated 2011 version of the popular (and it's-about-time 2010) "Stadium to the Sea" route, which will take participants and their onlookers through 26.2 miles of Los Angeles City & County from Dodger Stadium to the Pacific Ocean. You can view the course map, along with the turn-by-turn breakdown via the LA Marathon site.
Whether you want to plan an outing to stand along the route, or make sure your weekend travels don't run into a racecourse dead end, arm yourself with the official list of street closures and transit changes for the event.
STREET CLOSURES FOR THE 2011 L.A. MARATHON SUNDAY MARCH 20TH
Closed 3:15 a.m. Open 10:20 a.m.
* Elysian Park Avenue between Dodger Stadium and Sunset Boulevard
* Sunset Boulevard/Cesar Chavez Avenue between Douglas Street and Alameda Street (may be closed to Vignes Street if necessary)
* Temple Street between Alameda Street and Glendale Boulevard
* First Street between Alameda Street and Hope Street
* Main Street between Second Street and Alameda Street
* Spring Street between Cesar Chavez Avenue and Second Street
* Broadway between Ord Street and Second Street
* Hill Street between Ord Street and Second Street
* Olive Street between Second Street and First Street
* Grand Avenue between Second Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue
* Figueroa Street between First Street and Alpine Street
* Beaudry Avenue between First Street and Sunset Boulevard
* East Edgeware Road between Temple Street and Bellevue Avenue
* Bellevue Avenue between East Edgeware Road and Glendale Boulevard
* Glendale Boulevard between Scott Avenue and Temple Street
Closed 3:45 am. Open 10:52 a.m.
* Parkman Avenue between Glendale Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard
* Sunset Boulevard between Echo Park Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard
* Alvarado Street between Glendale Boulevard and Temple Street
* Santa Monica Boulevard between Hoover Street and Sunset Boulevard
* Griffith Park Boulevard between Effie Street and Sunset Boulevard
* Fountain Avenue between Myra Avenue and Virgil Avenue
* Hillhurst Avenue/Virgil Avenue between Franklin Avenue and Fountain Avenue (may be closed to Santa Monica Boulevard if necessary)
* Sunset Boulevard between Vermont Avenue and Virgil Avenue
Closed 3:55 a.m. Open 11:24 a.m.
* Hollywood Boulevard between Sunset Boulevard and La Brea Avenue
* Vermont Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Normandie Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Western Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Wilton Place between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Bronson Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Gower Street between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Vine Street between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Cahuenga Boulevard between Sunset Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
Closed 4:05 a.m. Open 12:12 p.m.
* Highland Avenue between Santa Monica Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
* Orange Drive between Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard
* Sunset Boulevard between Highland Avenue and Crescent Heights Boulevard
* La Brea Avenue between Hollywood Boulevard and De Longpre Avenue
* Fairfax Avenue between Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard
* Laurel Canyon Boulevard/Crescent Heights Boulevard between Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard
Closed 4:20 a.m. Open 1 p.m.
* North Doheny Drive between Beverly Boulevard and Burton Way
* Third Street between North Robertson Boulevard and North Doheny Drive
* Burton Way between North Robertson Boulevard and North Doheny Drive
Closed 4:45 a.m. Open 2:04 p.m.
* Santa Monica Boulevard (north side of street—westbound direction only) between Moreno Drive and Sawtelle Boulevard
* Beverly Glen Boulevard between Wilshire Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard
* Westwood Boulevard between Wilshire Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard
* Veteran Avenue between Wilshire Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard
* Sepulveda Boulevard between Wilshire Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard (may be closed to Olympic Boulevard if necessary)
* Cotner Avenue between Santa Monica Boulevard and Ohio Avenue
* Ohio Avenue between Veteran Avenue and Corinth Avenue
Closed 5 a.m. Open 2:52 p.m.
* San Vicente Boulevard between Wilshire Boulevard and Montana Avenue
* San Vicente Boulevard (south side of street—eastbound direction only) between Montana Ave. and 26th Street
* Barrington Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard
* Montana Avenue between Bundy Drive and Barrington Avenue
* Kenter Avenue/Bundy Drive between Sunset Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard
The LADOT's Marathon Street Closure Map (Download a large version from here)
With the race ending in Santa Monica, the city has real-time parking space availability info online. All of SaMo's Marathon info, including transit info, shopping and dining suggestions and more, is also online.
According to Metro, the following bus lines are affected by the Marathon: 002/302, 004, 010, 014, 020, 026/051/052/352, 028, 030, 033, 040/042, 045, 048, 055/355, 060, 068/084, 070, 071, 076, 081, 083, 090/091, 092, 094, 096, 105, 156/656, 180/181, 200, 201, 204, 206, 207, 210, 212/312, 222, 305, 445, 487/489, 534, 550, 704, 720, 745, 754, 757, 780, 794, Metro Silver Line. Details about specific route detours and added rail service is available via Metro.
About.com says the site Commuterama "is being set up to provide real time street closures during the LA Marathon."